One of the best ever cake flavour combinations will always be coffee with a hint of chocolate! I made a batch of these for my friend’s birthday (and obviously had to make a couple of extra for myself!) but I would highly recommend not sending cake through Royal Mail – lets just say that they didn’t look anything like the images that you are seeing here!
The coffee infused buttercream brings the bake from a 8/10 to a 10/10 in an instant, so make sure you have made it strong/weak enough to suit your taste.
Top Tip: The stronger you make the coffee paste, the better!
- 4oz butter/margarine
- 4oz sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 a mug of very very strong coffee
- Chocolate vermicelli or chips
- 1:2 ratio of butter and icing sugar
- Decorations (chocolate coated coffee beans are my fave!)
- Preheat the oven to 180oC
- Line a muffin tray with ~6 cases or 12 small ones
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar
- Mix in the eggs one at a time, stirring carefully
- Pour in half of the strong coffee (1/4 cup/a few tablespoons)
- Slowly sieve and mix in the flour and baking powder
- Fold in the chocolate bits
- Divide into the cases, with approx 1-2tbsp of mixture in each
- Bake for around 15 minutes until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool whilst making up the butter icing with butter, icing sugar & the remainder of the coffee
- Decorate with all of the icing!